Inner City Blues
An inner-city, brand-new ambulatory care hospital.
Environmental Services (ES) includes cleaning and disinfection, patient and material portering.
What Was Happening
- Clinicians concerned with environment of care
- Service execution varied
- Staff morale was low
- Performance was not measured
- “More” was the response to every problem
Completed an operational review, confirmed the staffing requirement; we reported on findings and recommended actions.
Created environmental hygiene corporate policy, a manual of standard operating practices, unit specific customer service plans, individual position work routines.
Trained all staff in infection control concepts and environmental hygiene methods; we coached the ES supervisors to raise their performance game.
Audited outcomes before, during and after our work; we met with staff, infection control and clinical teams throughout the project.
HPS Delivered Results
- Clinical confidence in the environment of care improved
- Service standards, frequencies, procedures and job responsibilities were made clear to all
- Staff morale improved; team work increased
- Performance was improved without adding staff
- HPS gained another satisfied client!